Thursday 21 August 2014

The Call

The unexpected phone call. A grown man asking for help. He is hungry and so is his family. His last coins were used to buy airtime to make the call. The pain in his voice is clear. I cannot imagine how much courage it took to make the call. I know he is not taking chances. He is a hard worker and an honest man. Life just dealt him a bad hand. He does not ask for money because he knows he will not be able to pay it back. At least not anytime soon. He is willing to work and earn it. If only I allow him the opportunity to do so. I will do my best to help him because I know him. I have seen his struggles with my own eyes. It would have been so easy to turn a blind eye. And we often do. But I can’t. Not today.


Ask yourself how many times do you turn a blind eye when someone asks for help. How many times do you let the phone go to voice mail because you are not in the mood, or too busy, or too selfish? And ask yourself how you can live guilt free knowing that someone’s last bit of airtime was quite possibly wasted on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment